How to Build to Save Energy
Did you know that the buildings we live and work in have a dramatic impact on our natural environment?
According to the U.S. Green Building Council (www.usgbc.com), buildings account for:
- 72% of electricity consumption
- 39% of energy use
- 38% of all carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions
- 40% of raw materials use
- 30% of waste output (136 million tons annually)
- 14% of potable water consumption
Choosing to build green has a responsible decision that has a significant impact on our world. When choosing to build green, be sure to choose a qualified and certified contractor. Shaw Building & Design, Inc. is a Certified Green Professional™ through the National Association of Home Builders.
The National Association of Home Builders’ Certified Green Professional™ designation recognizes builders, remodelers and other industry professionals who incorporate green building principles into homes, without driving up the cost of construction. Classwork leading to the designation provides a solid background in green building methods, as well as the tools to reach consumers, from the organization leading the charge to provide market-driven green building solutions to the home building industry.
What are the benefits of green building?
- Enhance and protect ecosystems and biodiversity
- Improve air and water quality
- Reduce solid waste
- Conserve natural resources
- Reduce operating costs
- Enhance asset value and profits
- Improve employee productivity and satisfaction
- Optimize life-cycle economic performance
Health and community benefits:
- Improve air, thermal, and acoustic environments
- Enhance occupant comfort and health
- Minimize strain on local infrastructure
- Contribute to overall quality of life